Thursday, October 09, 2014

Happy Birthday darling boy

Your last summer of being three was stormy.  I'm thankful that I'm saying that literally and not as an analogy to your life.  The clouds tumbled & tussled with the wind and broke their dewy sweat over your upturned face.  Lightning skewered the dark and left brief wounds of light in your eyes.  You spent your last summer of three with an upturned face, catching rain drops on your tongue.   You are so happy.  You have come along way since your shrill shrieking days of infancy.  You were only a babe, you are only a boy child and yet God uses you in my life to do a man's work, no, a God work.  Your existence is a force to be reckoned with.  Ender, you are one of my sins most formidable opponents. 

"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one's youth.
Happy is the man who has his
quiver full of them;
They shall not be ashamed
But shall speak with their enemies in the gate"




Fours years its been unpacking this verse.  It perplexes me, but you help me understand.  Even in the womb, the sin in my heart knew it would no longer have it easy.   A baby was coming, coming to clear the house of filth.  You aren't leaving one stone unturned, kiddo.  Its hard on me, its good for me.  I love you.

You talk about taking me to the moon one day after you go to astronaut school.  You talk about being a good and strong daddy like the one you know.  You talk about one day being 40 years old. 
I too think of all the things I want for you.... love, health, money, education, friends, security... but, you guide me with an upturned face and I see what I want, what I really want.

"I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ from who the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your heart through faith, that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height-
to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you  may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to Him is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 
To HIM be glory in the church by Christ Jesus through out all ages, world without end. 
Amen"
 

No comments: